Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kindle v. 2.0 vs. Downloadable Audiobooks

I understand that Amazon's Kindle v. 2.0 has the ability to convert text into audio using a computer voice. That is intriguing. Will this be the wave of the future? Are any libraries seriously considering to purchase Kindle? If so, how will they be used - loaned out, put digitized reference books on Kindle, download newspapers/magazines? The Kindle sounds very versatile.

Please "comment on" this posting, so that we can keep all Kindle interactions in one thread, instead of creating numerous threads.

I know that somehow we will discover all the "do-dads" that come with blogs. Can't wait to find out more.

4 comments:

Liam Hegarty said...

Here is a post from the blog, EarlyWord: The Publisher | Librarian Connection that touches on Kindles. It also has a link to an NPR story so you can hear what the Kindle sounds like.

Liam Hegarty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat H. said...

Thanks for that, Liam.

According to that post Kindle isn't there yet with the text-to-voice conversion. Don't think I would like a computerized voice to read to me. Not exactly soothing, just plain irritating.

I did read an article in a recent American Libraries, Library Journal, or some such, and the author is a person who is going blind and she also reviews books. Talk about difficult. She was full of enthusiasm about the text-to-voice conversion. I guess something is better than nothing at times, especially when there is little or no choice.

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality
articles or blog posts in this kind of house . Exploring
in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i'm happy to exhibit that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I
came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot definitely will make sure to do not disregard this website and give it a look on a
constant basis.

my web-site - ultimate-demon-discount